Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Homemade Granola Bars or Granola


I am excited to share this recipe with you since I absolutely love granola bars and granola! I have yet to find a really good store bought granola bar that I love....I am just not very happy with them and the long list of questionable ingredients in some of the varieties can be somewhat scary! I would much rather eat something without all the additives and "junk"! I love granola as an afternoon snack or with my breakfast on top of yogurt and fruit! Also, a granola bar is a great snack to have around the house when you are running out the door or are in the mood for a sweet treat! These bars have only a few simple ingredients and are very tasty! Enjoy! 

Recipe: 
2 Cups Rolled Oats 
2 Cups Kashi Go Lean Crunch Cereal (I used the honey almond flax flavor) 
1/3 Cup Almond Butter (could use peanut butter too) 
1/3 Cup honey (I used half clover and half raw cinnamon honey I bought at the farmers market-AMAZING) 
1 tsp vanilla 
1 handful semi-sweet chocolate chips 

Directions: 
Place Rolled oats and cereal in a bowl. In small saucepan, melt almond butter, honey and vanilla together until hot and well combined. Pour over cereal mixture and add in chocolate chips! Place in foil-lined square baking dish and press down mixture. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and then remove from pan and cut into bars. 

A few of my bars were slightly crumbly, so I decided to make granola out of them, and crumbled them into a storage container! A perfect topping to fruit or yogurt! 


adapted slightly from: http://www.espressoandcream.com/2011/05/make-your-own-chewy-granola-bars.html

No comments:

Post a Comment